- Meat type birds
- Scientific name is Gallus Domesticus
For broiler breeders
- Number of settable eggs per dam housed = 170 eggs
- Breeding period = 25 to 66 weeks
- Fertility percentage = 90%
- Hatchability (% of total eggs set) = 80 %
- Number of sale-able chicks per dam = 130 straight run chicks
- Mortality (maximum); 0 to 8 weeks = 3 %, 9 to 20 weeks = 4 %, More than 20 weeks = 18 %
- Body weight; 20th week; Males = 2.6 kg, Females = 2.0 kg
- Body weight; 40th week; Males = 3.5 kg, Females = 2.5 kg
- Age at first lay = 22 weeks
- Age at sexual maturity = 25 weeks
- Incubation period of egg = 21 days
- Minimum hatch weight = 35 grams
- Egg size (by broiler hens) = 55 grams
- Floor space for broiler breeders (above 18 weeks) = 2.25 sq. ft.
Specifications of an ideal broiler shed
- It should be constructed at least 300 ft. away from residential areas
- Direction = facing east-west
- Minimum distance between 2 sheds = 35 ft.
- Size = depending on number of birds reared
- Width = 22 to 25 ft.
- Length = depending on land available and number of birds housed.
- Foundation = should be of concrete; minimum 1 ft. above and 1 ft. below the ground.
- Height; eaves height = 6-7 feet; height of centre of the roof = 10-12 ft.
- Type of roof = gable or monitor type depending on weather conditions. In temperate areas, gable roof, and in tropical areas, monitor roof is built.
- Type of floor = solid litter floor is with maximum benefits.
- Doors = must open outside; Dimensions = 1 m high, 2 m wide
- Overhang = 1 m on both sides
- Manure pit = 1m depth; 30 m away from shed
- Main gate = 12-15 ft. for vehicles; 3-4 ft. for personals
Feed stuffs apart from compounded feed
- Energy feeds = cereals and their by products. E.g. maize, wheat, barley, sorghum, oat, rice polish, bajra, wheat bran, rice bran, molasses, etc.
- Protein feeds;
Plant protein sources = ground nut cake, sunflower meal, soyabean meal, coconut oil cake, cotton seed meal, etc.
Animal protein sources = fish meal, meat meal, bone meal, tadpole meal, poultry by-product meal, etc.
- Feed should contain 23% crude protein & 2900 kcal/kg ME/day
- Calorie-protein ratio of feed = 122
Composition of broiler meat
- Water = 76%
- Protein = 19%
- Fat = 5%
- Saturated fatty acids = 2%
- Ash = 0.8%
- Calcium = 12 mg%
- Phosphorous = 201 mg%
- Iron = 1.9 mg%
- Vitamin A = 730 IU
- Linoleic acid = 1%
- Oleic acid = 2%
- Feeding space required by 1 chick = 2 inches
- Drinking space required by 1 chick = ¼ inch
- Floor space requirement; from 0 to 4 weeks = 0.5 sq. ft., from 5 to 8 weeks = 1 sq.ft
- Debeaking to check cannibalism can be done at 9 days of age or 3-4 weeks of age.
- De-toeing can be done at 6-9 days of age in breeding males.
- Feed efficiency at 6 weeks of age = 1.8
- Livability(from 0 to 6 weeks) = 98%
- Dressing percentage = 75 (maximum)
For any type of query related to animal husbandry, you can ask us by clicking ‘ask a question’ or ‘contact us’ option. For receiving a soft copy of any article, mail us at [email protected].
If you want to write an article or share your experience related to animal husbandry with other farmers, write your article and email it to [email protected].
If any student of veterinary science or veterinary doctor wishes to publish an article with us, then write your article and email at [email protected]. You can send your articles in Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu or English.